- Equip is defined as to provide necessary items, training, etc. for a certain purpose.
An example of equip is to give laptops to new students for their studies.
- to provide with what is needed; outfit: troops equipped for battle
- to prepare by training, instruction, etc.
- to dress (oneself) for a certain purpose
Origin: French équiper ; from Old French esquiper, to embark, put out to sea, probably ; from Old Norse skipa, to arrange, make ready ; from skip, ship
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb e·quipped, e·quip·ping, e·quips
- a. To supply with necessities such as tools or provisions.b. To furnish with the qualities necessary for performance: an education that will equip you to handle such problems. See Synonyms at furnish.
- To dress up.
Origin: French équiper, from Old French esquiper, of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse skipa (from skip, ship).