The definition of an appurtenance is something goes with or attaches to something else.noun
The appendix of a book is an example of an appurtenance.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- anything that appertains; thing added to a more important thing; adjunct
- apparatus or equipment; accessories
- an incidental right, privilege, etc., attached to some thing and passing with it, as by conveyance or sale
Origin: ME < Anglo-Fr apurtenance < OFr apertenance < prp. of LL appertinere, appertain
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something added to another, more important thing; an appendage. See Synonyms at appendage.
- appurtenances Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task; gear.
- Law A right, privilege, or property that is considered incident to the principal property for purposes such as passage of title, conveyance, or inheritance.
Origin: Middle English appurtenaunce, from Anglo-Norman apurtenance, from Vulgar Latin *appertinentia, from Late Latin appertinēns, appertinent-, present participle of appertinēre, to appertain; see appertain.
- ap·purˈte·nant adjective