- The definition of an appurtenance is something goes with or attaches to something else.
The appendix of a book is an example of an appurtenance.
appurtenance definition by Webster's New World
- anything that appertains; thing added to a more important thing; adjunct
- apparatus or equipment; accessories
- an incidental right, privilege, etc., attached to some thing and passing with it, as by conveyance or sale
Origin: Middle English ; from Anglo-French apurtenance ; from Old French apertenance ; from present participle of Late Latin appertinere, appertain
appurtenance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something added to another, more important thing; an appendage. See Synonyms at appendage.
- appurtenances Equipment, such as clothing, tools, or instruments, used for a specific purpose or task; gear.
- Law A right, privilege, or property that is considered incident to the principal property for purposes such as passage of title, conveyance, or inheritance.
Origin: Middle English appurtenaunce, from Anglo-Norman apurtenance, from Vulgar Latin *appertinentia, from Late Latin appertinēns, appertinent-, present participle of appertinēre, to appertain; see appertain.
- ap·purˈte·nant adjective