- The definition of furnish is to provide or to fill a home with furniture.
- When you provide someone with information, this is an example of a situation where you furnish information.
- When you fill a house with couches and chairs and beds and other items necessary to live comfortably, this is an example of a situation where you furnish the house.
A furnished bedroom.
furnish definition by Webster's New World
- to supply, provide, or equip with whatever is necessary or useful; esp., to put furniture into (a room, apartment, etc.)
- to supply; provide; give: to furnish information
Origin: Middle English furnishen ; from extended stem of Old French furnir (Fr fournir) ; from Frankish an unverified form frumjan (akin to Old English framian, German frommen, to benefit), causative ; from an unverified form fruma (akin to Old Norse frami, profit): for Indo-European base see from
- furnisher noun
furnish definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb fur·nished, fur·nish·ing, fur·nish·es
- To equip with what is needed, especially to provide furniture for.
- To supply; give: “The story of Orpheus has furnished Pope with an illustration” (Thomas Bulfinch).
Origin: Middle English furnisshen, from Old French fournir, fourniss-, of Germanic origin; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- furˈnish·er noun