- Furniture is defined as moveable things like tables, chairs and sofas that are used to make a house or building a comfortable place to live.
An example of furniture is a couch or a chair or a table.
This sofa is a piece of furniture.
furniture definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete the act of furnishing
- the things, usually movable, in a room, apartment, etc. which equip it for living, as chairs, sofas, tables, beds, etc.
- the necessary equipment of a machine, ship, trade, etc.
- Archaic full equipment for a man and horse, as armor, harness, etc.
- Printing pieces of wood, metal, or plastic used to fill in blank areas in type forms
Origin: French fourniture ; from fournir, furnish
furniture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The movable articles in a room or an establishment that make it fit for living or working.
- Archaic The necessary equipment for a saddle horse.
Origin: Old French fourniture, from fournir, to furnish; see furnish.