- any of a genus (Quercus) of large hardwood trees and bushes of the beech family, bearing acorns
- the wood of an oak
- any of various plants with oaklike leaves
- a wreath of oak leaves
- woodwork, furniture, etc. made of oak
Origin: ME oke < OE ac, akin to Ger eiche < IE base *aig-, oak > Gr aigilōps, a kind of oak
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Any of numerous monoecious deciduous or evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Quercus, bearing acorns as fruit.b. The durable wood of any of these trees or shrubs.c. Something made of this wood.
- Any of various similar trees or shrubs, such as the poison oak.
- Any of various brown shades resembling the wood of an oak in color.
Origin: Middle English ok, from Old English āc.
- oakˈen adjective