A room with hardwood floors.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any tough, heavy timber with a compact texture
- Forestry the wood of an angiosperm possessing true vessels, in contrast to the softwood of a gymnosperm, which lacks vessels
- a tree yielding hardwood
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The wood of a dicotyledonous tree.
- A dicotyledonous tree.
hardwood - Science Definition
- An angiosperm tree, especially as distinguished from a coniferous, or softwood, tree.
- The wood of an angiosperm tree. Hardwoods are in general harder than softwood. However, some hardwoods, such as basswood, are comparatively soft, while some softwoods, such as yew, are comparatively hard.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.