- a slender spear or javelin with an iron tip, used in S Africa
- a tree (Curtisia faginea) of the dogwood family, whose hard wood is used to make such spears
Origin of assegaiPortuguese azagaia ; from colloquial Arabic az-zagh?ya ; from az, for al, the + Berber zagh?yah, spear, probably ; from Berber (cf. Tuareg (a)zegiz, long-armed dagger)
- A light spear or lance used by Bantu peoples of southern Africa.
- A tall evergreen tree (Curtisia dentata) of southern Africa, having durable wood used for making weapons, furniture, and other wooden products, and bark that is used in traditional medicine.
Origin of assegaiObsolete French azagaie, probably from Old Spanish azagayah, from Arabic az-zaġ&amacron;ya : al-, the + Berber zaġ&amacron;ya, spear.
(third-person singular simple present assegais, present participle assegaiing, simple past and past participle assegaied)
- To spear with an assegai.