A man throwing a javelin.
javelin definition by Webster's New World
- a light spear for throwing
- in full javelin throw
- a pointed wooden or metal shaft, about 8 ft long, thrown for distance as a test of strength and skill
- the throwing of the javelin as a field event in track and field meets
Origin: Middle French javeline, feminine diminutive ; from javelot, a spear, probably ; from Gaulish an unverified form gabalaccos ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ghabh(o)lo-, forked branch, fork from source Old English gafol, German gabel
javelin definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A light spear thrown with the hand and used as a weapon.
- Sports a. A metal or metal-tipped spear thrown for distance in track and field competitions. The men's javelin is about 2.6 meters (8 1/2 feet) in length; the women's is about 2.2 meters (7 1/4 feet) in length.b. The athletic field event in which a javelin is thrown.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French javeline, diminutive of javelot, of Celtic origin.