- any of a number of valuable hard, reddish, black-streaked woods, sometimes with a roselike odor, obtained from certain tropical trees (esp. genus Dalbergia of the pea family) and used in making furniture, pianos, etc.
- a tree yielding such wood
Origin of rosewoodfrom its odor
- Any of various tropical trees chiefly of the genus Dalbergia in the pea family, having hard brown to purplish wood with dark brown or black streaks.
- The wood of any of these trees, used for cabinetwork and musical instruments.
(countable and uncountable, plural rosewoods)
- The fragrant wood of Dalbergia nigra, a Brazilian tree in the legume family, which has a sweet smell.
- Any of several dozen woods, resembling that of Dalbergia nigra in some respect.
- The wood of a South American tree, Aniba rosaeodora, in the laurel family, with fragrant wood from which an essential oil is distilled.