Wall panels and door made of mahogany.
- any of a genus (Swietenia) of tropical trees of the mahogany family, with dark, heavy heartwood
- the wood of any of these trees; esp., the hard, reddish-brown to yellow wood of a tropical American tree (S. mahogani), valued for furniture, interior finishing, and cabinetwork
- any of various trees of this family having similar wood, as any of several African trees (genus Khaya)
- any of various trees of other families having similar wood, as a Philippine mahogany or certain eucalyptus trees
- the wood of any of these trees
- reddish brown
Origin of mahoganyearlier mohogeney ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- designating a family (Meliaceae, order Sapindales) of chiefly tropical, dicotyledonous plants, including baywood and chinaberry
- made of mahogany
- a. Any of several tropical American evergreen trees of the genus Swietenia of the family Meliaceae, especially S. mahagoni and S. macrophylla, valued for their hard, reddish-brown wood.b. The wood of any of these trees, used in making furniture and musical instruments.
- a. Any of several trees of the family Meliaceae having similar wood, such as African mahogany.b. Any of several trees of other families having similar wood, such as Philippine mahogany.c. The wood of any of these trees.
- A moderate reddish brown.
Origin of mahoganyPerhaps ultimately of Taíno origin; akin to Eyeri (Taíno dialect of Puerto Rico) maga, mahogany.
(countable and uncountable, plural mahoganies)
(comparative more mahogany, superlative most mahogany)
- Made of mahogany.
- Having the colour of mahogany; dark reddish-brown.