- Insure is defined as to provide insurance or to make sure of something.
An example of to insure is for Geico Insurance to provide plans for its customers.
insure definition by Webster's New World
- to contract to be paid or to pay money in the case of loss of (life, property, etc.); take out or issue insurance on (something or someone)
Origin: Middle English ensuren: see ensure
insure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb in·sured, in·sur·ing, in·sures verb, transitive
- a. To provide or arrange insurance for: a company that insures homeowners and businesses.b. To acquire or have insurance for: insured herself against losses; insured his car for theft.
- To make sure, certain, or secure. See Usage Note at assure.
Origin: Middle English ensuren, to assure, from Old French enseurer, possibly variant of assurer; see assure.
- in·surˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- in·surˈa·ble adjective
insure - Computer Definition
- To obtain an insurance policy on something.
- Used in error to mean to make certain of something of something by taking necessary precautions. I vote for #1, exclusively. It makes me crazy when people talk about how some process or some such thing insures some result. I think that the only thing that insures something is an insurance policy, and even that only insures that somebody gets paid when the barn burns down or some such thing and even that assumes that the insurance company will actually live up to the terms of the policy and pay up. Oh, well, maybe it's just me utilizing my editorial privilege and ranting on and on and on in unnecessarily complex sentences. See also ensure and utilize.