- Transfer is defined as to move, carry or transport from one person or place to another.
- An example of to transfer is the owner of a car signing the title over to a new owner.
- An example of to transfer is picking up a package from one location and bringing it to another.
transfer definition by Webster's New World
- to convey, carry, remove, or send from one person, place, or position to another
- to make over or convey (property, title to property, etc.) to another
- to convey (a picture, design, etc.) from one surface to another by any of several processes
Origin: Middle English transferren ; from Classical Latin transferre ; from trans-, across plush ferre, to bear
- to transfer oneself or be transferred; move
- ☆ to withdraw from one school, college, course of study, etc. and be admitted to another
- ☆ to change from one bus, train, or streetcar to another, usually by presenting a transfer
- a transferring or being transferred
- a means of transferring
- a thing or person that is transferred; specif., a picture or design transferred or to be transferred from one surface to another
- ☆ a ticket, provided free or at a small extra charge, entitling the bearer to change from one bus, train, or streetcar to another as specified
- ☆ a place for transferring
- ☆ a form or document effecting a transfer, as from one post or position to another
- ☆ a person who transfers or is transferred from one school, post, position, etc. to another
- the transferring of a title, right, etc. from one person to another
- the document effecting this
transfer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb trans·ferred, trans·fer·ring, trans·fers verb, transitive
- To convey or cause to pass from one place, person, or thing to another.
- Law To make over the possession or legal title of; convey.
- To convey (a design, for example) from one surface to another, as by impression.
- To move oneself from one location or job to another.
- To withdraw from one educational institution or course of study and enroll in another.
- To change from one public conveyance to another: transferred to another bus.
- also trans·fer·al The conveyance or removal of something from one place, person, or thing to another.
- One who transfers or is transferred, as to a new school.
- A design conveyed by contact from one surface to another.
- a. A ticket entitling a passenger to change from one public conveyance to another as part of one trip.b. A place where such a change is made.
- also transferal Law A conveyance of title or property from one person to another.
Origin: Middle English transferren, from Old French transferer, from Latin trānsferre : trāns-, trans- + ferre, to carry; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
- trans·ferˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- trans·ferˈa·ble, trans·ferˈra·ble adjective
- trans·ferˈrer noun
transfer - Business Definition
- To record a change in asset ownership.
- To deliver an asset to the buyer. For example, a security is transferred to the buyer's broker by the seller's broker.
transfer - Computer Definition
To send data over a computer channel or bus. "Transfer" generally applies to transmission within the computer system, and "transmit" refers to transmission outside the computer over a line or network. Transfers are actually copies, since the data are in both locations at the end of the transfer. Input, output and move instructions activate data transfers in the computer.
transfer - Investment & Finance Definition
- To record a change of ownership in a security on the issuer's books.
- To deliver a security to the buyer's broker by the seller's broker.
Is it difficult to transfer my brokerage account to a different firm?
Transferring an account to another firm is relatively easy. The first step is to open an account at the new firm. Then sign an account transfer form, which will be provided by the new firm. A representative at the new firm should be able to provide assistance if you encounter any difficulties. The transfer should be completed within two weeks.
George Riles, First Vice President and Resident Manager, Merrill Lynch, Albany, GA
transfer - Legal Definition
transfer - Medical Definition
- The conveyance or removal of something from one place to another.
- A condition in which learning in one situation influences learning in another situation. It may be positive, as when learning one behavior facilitates the learning of something else, or negative, as when one habit interferes with the acquisition of a later one.
- transfer verb