transference[trans′fər əns, trans fʉr′-]
- a transferring or being transferred; transfer
- Psychoanalysis a reproduction of emotions relating to repressed experiences, esp. of childhood, and the substitution of another person, esp. a psychoanalyst or other psychotherapist, for the object of the repressed impulses
- transferential adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or process of transferring.b. The fact of being transferred.
- In psychoanalysis, the process by which emotions and desires originally associated with one person, such as a parent or sibling, are unconsciously shifted to another person, especially to the analyst.
- transˌfer·enˈtial adjective
transference - Medical Definition