transference[trans′fər əns, trans fʉr′-]
- a transferring or being transferred; transfer
- Psychoanalysis a reproduction of emotions relating to repressed experiences, esp. of childhood, and the substitution of another person, esp. a psychoanalyst or other psychotherapist, for the object of the repressed impulses
- a. The act or process of transferring.b. The fact of being transferred.
- The process by which emotions and desires originally associated with one person, such as a parent or sibling, are unconsciously shifted to another person, especially to a psychotherapist or psychoanalyst during a course of treatment.
(countable and uncountable, plural transferences)
- The act of conveying from one place to another; the act of transferring or the fact of being transferred.
- (psychology) The process by which emotions and desires, originally associated with one person, such as a parent, are unconsciously shifted to another.