- The definition of an assignment is a task that has been given to someone.
An example of an assignment is homework given to a student.
- An assignment is defined as a position held in government or an organization that bears great responsibility.
An example of an assignment is the position of any US Ambassador.
- Assignment means the act of choosing someone to take a position of great responsibility.
An example of assignment is the act of the president choosing an individual to be part of his administration.
A mom helps her son with his homework assignment.
assignment definition by Webster's New World
- an assigning or being assigned; appointment; allotment
- anything assigned or allotted, as a lesson, task, etc.
- a transfer of a claim, right, property, etc.
- an instrument, as a deed, authorizing this
assignment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of assigning.
- Something, such as a task, that is assigned. See Synonyms at task.
- A position or post of duty to which one is assigned.
- Law a. The transfer of a claim, right, interest, or property from one to another.b. The instrument by which this transfer is effected.
assignment - Business Definition
- The transfer of an asset from one owner to another. The holder of a lease on an office building assigns the lease to another party.
- Notice to the writer of an option that that writer will be required to sell a security (call option) or buy a security (put option) from the option holder.
- Transfer of ownership rights to an annuity contract or a life insurance policy.
assignment - Investment & Finance Definition
The act of telling a futures or options writer that his or her contract has been exercised and that he or she must purchase or sell the underlying security at the specified strike price. At expiration, the exchange or clearinghouse assigns the futures or options contract to either a randomly or systematically chosen party.
assignment - Legal Definition