prepare[prē par′, pri-]
- Prepare is defined as to make ready, put together or provide with what is needed.
- An example of to prepare is packing for a trip.
- An example of to prepare is making breakfast.
- An example of to prepare is getting a child the supplies they need for school.
transitive verbprepared, preparing
- to make ready, usually for a specific purpose; make suitable; fit; adapt; train
- to make receptive; dispose; accustom: to prepare someone for bad news
- to equip or furnish with necessary provisions, accessories, etc.; fit out: to prepare an expedition
- to put together or make out of ingredients, parts, etc., or according to a plan or formula; compound: to prepare dinner or a medicine
- Music to use (a dissonant tone) in preparation
Origin of prepareMiddle English preparen ; from Middle French preparer ; from Classical Latin praeparare ; from prae-, before (see pre-) + parare, to set in order, get ready, akin to parere, to bring forth, bear (see -parous)
- to make things ready
- to make oneself ready
verbpre·pared, pre·par·ing, pre·pares
- To make ready beforehand for a specific purpose, as for an event or occasion: The teacher prepared the students for the exams.
- To put together or make by combining various elements or ingredients; manufacture or compound: prepared a meal; prepared the lecture.
- To fit out; equip: prepared the ship for an arctic expedition.
- Music To lead up to and soften (a dissonance or its impact) by means of preparation.
Origin of prepareMiddle English preparen, from Old French preparer, from Latin praeparāre : prae-, pre- + parāre, prepare, equip; see per&schwa;-1 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present prepares, present participle preparing, simple past and past participle prepared)
- To make ready for a specific future purpose; to set up; to assemble.
- We prepared the spacecraft for takeoff.
- To make ready for eating or drinking; to cook.
- We prepared a fish for dinner.
- (intransitive) To make oneself ready; to get ready, make preparation.
- We prepared for a bumpy ride.
- To produce or make by combining elements; to synthesize, compound.
- She prepared a meal from what was left in the cupboards.
- This is a catenative verb that can take a following verb in its to + infinitive form.
- (obsolete) preparation