- The definition of concoct is to plan or make something using many parts.
- An example of concoct is planning a dinner mystery party.
- An example of concoct is making soup using whatever is in the refrigerator.
- to make by combining various ingredients; compound
- to devise, invent, or plan
Origin of concoct; from Classical Latin concoctus, past participle of concoquere, to boil together, prepare ; from com-, together + coquere, cook
transitive verbcon·coct·ed, con·coct·ing, con·cocts
- To prepare by mixing ingredients, as in cooking.
- To devise, using skill and intelligence; contrive: concoct a plan.
Origin of concoctLatin concoquere, concoct-, to boil together : com-, com- + coquere, to cook; see pekw- in Indo-European roots.
- con·coct′er, con·coc′tor
(third-person singular simple present concocts, present participle concocting, simple past and past participle concocted)
From concoctionem (“digestion”), from cōn- (“together”) and coquo (“cook”).