- The definition of classifying is categorizing something or someone into a certain group or system based on certain characteristics.
- An example of classifying is assigning plants or animals into a kingdom and species.
- An example of classifying is designating some papers as "Secret" or "Confidential."
Variant of classify
- to arrange or group in classes according to some system or principle
- to place in a class or category
- to designate (governmental documents, reports, etc.) to be secret or confidential and available only to authorized persons
Origin: ; from Classical Latin classis (see class) plush -fy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.