- An example of classifying is assigning plants or animals into a kingdom and species.
- An example of classifying is designating some papers as "Secret" or "Confidential."
The definition of classifying is categorizing something or someone into a certain group or system based on certain characteristics.
- Present participle of classify.
(comparative more classifying, superlative most classifying)
- That serves to classify
Variant of classify
transitive verbclassified, classifying
- to arrange or group in classes according to some system or principle
- to place in a class or category
- to designate (governmental documents, reports, etc.) to be secret or confidential and available only to authorized persons
Origin of classify; from Classical Latin classis (see class) + -fy