- Distribute is defined as to divide, scatter or hand out.
An example of distribute is to give a handout to each student in the class.
- to divide and give out in shares; allot
- to scatter or spread out, as over a surface
- to divide and arrange according to a classification; classify
- to put (things) in various distinct places
- Obsolete to administer, as justice
- Printing to break up (set type) and put the letters back in the proper boxes
- Law to apportion (an intestate's property) to those entitled to it
- Logic to use (a term) in such a way as to refer to all members of its extension
Origin: Middle English distributen ; from Classical Latin distributus, past participle of distribuere, to distribute ; from dis-, apart plush tribuere, to allot: see tribute
- distributable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb dis·trib·ut·ed, dis·trib·ut·ing, dis·trib·utes verb, transitive
- To divide and dispense in portions.
- a. To supply (goods) to retailers.b. To deliver or pass out: distributing handbills on the street.
- a. To spread or diffuse over an area; scatter: distribute grass seed over the lawn.b. To apportion so as to be evenly spread throughout a given area: 180 pounds of muscle that were well distributed over his 6-foot frame.
- To separate into categories; classify.
- Logic To use (a term) so as to include all individuals or entities of a given class.
Origin: Middle English distributen, from Latin distribuere, distribūt- : dis-, apart; see dis- + tribuere, to give; see tribute.