- The definition of radiate is something with rays that come from a shared center.
An example of radiate is the appearance of petals in a flower; radiate formation of petals.
- Radiate is defined as to give off heat or light, or extend out from a shared center.
- An example of radiate is heat and light coming from a camp fire.
- An example of radiate are petals extending from the center of a flower.
Heat and light radiate from this campfire.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to send out rays of heat, light, etc.; be radiant
- to come forth or spread out in rays: heat radiating from a stove
- to branch out in lines from a center: highways radiating from a city
Origin: from Classical Latin radiatus, past participle of radiare, to radiate from radius, ray: see radius
- to send out (heat, light, etc.) in rays
- to give forth or spread (happiness, love, etc.) as if from a center
- having rays or raylike parts; radial
- Bot. having ray flowers or florets
- Zool. having radial symmetry, as a jellyfish
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb ra·di·at·ed, ra·di·at·ing, ra·di·ates verb, intransitive
- To send out rays or waves.
- To issue or emerge in rays or waves: Heat radiated from the stove.
- To extend in straight lines from or toward a center; diverge or converge like rays: Spokes radiate from a wheel hub.
- Ecology To spread into new habitats and thereby diverge or diversify. Used of a group of organisms.
- To emit (light, for example) in or as if in rays.
- To send or spread out from or as if from a center: a cactus that radiates spines.
- To irradiate or illuminate (an object).
- To manifest in a glowing manner: a leader who radiates confidence.
- Botany Having rays or raylike parts, as in the flower heads of daisies.
- Biology Characterized by radial symmetry.
- Surrounded with rays: a radiate head on a coin.
Origin: Latin radiāre, radiāt-, to emit beams, from radius, ray.
- raˈdi·aˌtive adjective
radiate - Medical Definition
- To spread out in all directions from a center.
- To emit or be emitted as radiation.
- radiative adjective