- To declare is defined as to state or announce something publicly.
An example of to declare is to decide on a major in college.
- To declare means to make a statement or make information known.
An example of to declare is to list what you bought while traveling before going through customs.
- The definition of declare is to reveal your opinion to others.
An example of to declare is to tell your family that you are against their political party.
declare definition by Webster's New World
- to make clearly known; state or announce openly, formally, etc.
- to show or reveal
- to say positively or emphatically
- to make a statement, or account, of (taxable goods), as at customs
- to authorize the payment or distribution of (a dividend, etc.)
- Card Games to meld
Origin: Middle English declaren ; from Old French declarer ; from Classical Latin declarare ; from de-, intensive plush clarare, to make clear ; from clarus, clear
- to make a declaration
- to state openly a choice, opinion, etc. (for or against)
declare definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb de·clared, de·clar·ing, de·clares verb, transitive
- To make known formally or officially. See Synonyms at announce.
- To state emphatically or authoritatively; affirm.
- To reveal or make manifest; show.
- To make a full statement of (dutiable goods, for example).
- Games To designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand in bridge.
- To make a declaration.
- To proclaim one's support, choice, opinion, or resolution.
Origin: Middle English declaren, from Old French declarer, from Latin dēclārāre : dē-, intensive pref.; see de- + clārāre, to make clear (from clārus, clear; see kelə-2 in Indo-European roots).
- de·clarˈa·ble adjective
- de·clarˈer noun
declare - Business Definition
- To authorize a dividend formally. A declared dividend becomes a liability of the business until it is paid.
- To state to customs officials articles that are being brought into the country.
- To state income when completing a tax return.
declare - Investment & Finance Definition
declare - Phrases/Idioms
- to state strongly one's opinion
- to reveal one's true character, identity, etc.
- To state formally the intention to carry on armed hostilities against.
- To state one's intent to suppress or eradicate: declared war on drug dealing in the neighborhood.