- to declare (a deceased person) a saint in formal church procedure
- to glorify
- to put in the Biblical canon
- to give church sanction or authorization to
Origin of canonizeMiddle English canonizen ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin canonizare: see canon + -ize
transitive verbcan·on·ized, can·on·iz·ing, can·on·iz·es
- To declare (a deceased person) to be a saint and entitled to be fully honored as such.
- To include in the biblical canon.
- To include in a literary canon.
- To approve as being within canon law.
- To treat as sacred; glorify.
(third-person singular simple present canonizes, present participle canonizing, simple past and past participle canonized)