- The definition of announce means to make something publicly known.
An example of announce is a person telling the country that he plans to run for president.
announce definition by Webster's New World
- to declare publicly; give notice of formally; proclaim
- to say or tell
- to make known the arrival of
- to make known through the senses: footsteps announced his return
- Radio, TV to be an announcer for
Origin: Middle English announcen ; from Old French anoncier ; from Classical Latin annuntiare, to make known ; from ad-, to plush nuntiare, to report ; from nuntius, messenger: see nuncio
- to serve as a radio or television announcer
- ☆ to make known publicly one's candidacy or one's political endorsement of another: with for
announce definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb an·nounced, an·nounc·ing, an·nounc·es verb, transitive
- To make known publicly.
- To proclaim the presence or arrival of: announce a caller.
- To provide an indication of beforehand; foretell: The invention of the microchip announced a new generation of computers.
- To serve as an announcer for: announce a football game on TV.
- To declare one's candidacy: was declared the front-runner even before she announced.
- To serve as an announcer.
Origin: Middle English announcen, from Old French anoncier, from Latin annūntiāre : ad-, ad- + nūntiāre, to report (from nūntius, messenger; see neu- in Indo-European roots).