- Historical any of various officials who made proclamations, carried state messages to other sovereigns, took charge of tournaments, arranged ceremonies, etc.
- in England, an official in charge of genealogies, coats of arms, etc.
- a person who proclaims or announces significant news, etc.: often used in newspaper names
- a person or thing that comes before to announce, or give an indication of, what follows; forerunner; harbinger
Origin of heraldMiddle English from Old French heralt from Germanic an unverified form hariwald, army chief: see Harold
- to introduce, announce, foretell, etc.
- to publicize