- a person, animal, or thing that runs; specif.,
- a racer
- ☆ Baseball base runner
- ☆ Football a player running with the ball
- a person who runs errands, carries messages, etc., as for a bank or brokerage house
- a smuggler
- a person who operates or manages something, as a machine
- a long, narrow, decorative cloth for the top of a table, chest of drawers, etc.
- a long, narrow rug, as for a hall or corridor
- a long ravel, as in hose; run
- a long, slender, horizontal trailing stem that puts out roots along or just below the ground at its tip or its nodes, thus producing new plants; stolon
- any plant that spreads in this way, as the strawberry
- any of various twining plants: the scarlet runner
- something on or in which something else moves, as a sliding part in machinery or the support along which a sliding door moves
- ☆ either of the long, narrow pieces of metal or wood on which a sled or sleigh slides
- ☆ the blade of a skate
- a ring, loop, etc. that can slide along a strap, rod, etc., often one to which another part or parts can be attached
- Metallurgy a channel through which molten metal is poured into a mold; gate
- Zool. any of various edible jack fishes of warm seas, as a bluish species (Caranx crysos) and a striped bluish species (Elagatis bipinnulata)
See runner in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Sports One who competes in a race.
a. Baseball One who runs the bases.
b. Football One who carries the ball.
- A fugitive.
- One who carries messages or runs errands.
- One who serves as an agent or collector, as for a bank or brokerage house.
- One who solicits business, as for a hotel or store.
a. A smuggler: a narcotics runner.
b. A vessel engaged in smuggling.
- One who operates or manages something: the runner of a series of gambling operations.
- A device in or on which something slides or moves, as:
a. The blade of a skate.
b. The supports on which a drawer slides.
- A long narrow carpet.
- A long narrow tablecloth.
- A roller towel.
- Metallurgy A channel along which molten metal is poured into a mold; a gate.
a. A slender creeping stem that puts forth roots from nodes spaced at intervals along its length.
b. A plant, such as the strawberry, having such a stem.
c. A twining vine, such as the scarlet runner.
- Any of several marine fishes of the family Carangidae, especially the blue runner (Caranx crysos), of temperate waters of the American Atlantic coast. Also called blue runner.
- Sports See flat1.
Learn more about runner