runner definition by Webster's New World
- a person, animal, or thing that runs; specif.,
- a racer
- ☆ Baseball base runner
- ☆ Football a player running with the ball
- a person who runs errands, carries messages, etc., as for a bank or brokerage house
- a smuggler
- a person who operates or manages something, as a machine
- a long, narrow, decorative cloth for the top of a table, chest of drawers, etc.
- a long, narrow rug, as for a hall or corridor
- a long ravel, as in hose; run
- a long, slender, horizontal trailing stem that puts out roots along or just below the ground at its tip or its nodes, thus producing new plants; stolon
- any plant that spreads in this way, as the strawberry
- any of various twining plants: the scarlet runner
- something on or in which something else moves, as a sliding part in machinery or the support along which a sliding door moves
- ☆ either of the long, narrow pieces of metal or wood on which a sled or sleigh slides
- ☆ the blade of a skate
- a ring, loop, etc. that can slide along a strap, rod, etc., often one to which another part or parts can be attached
- Metallurgy a channel through which molten metal is poured into a mold; gate
- Zool. any of various edible jack fishes of warm seas, as a bluish species (Caranx crysos) and a striped bluish species (Elagatis bipinnulata)
Origin: Middle English renner
runner definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Sports One who competes in a race.
- a. Baseball One who runs the bases.b. Football One who carries the ball.
- A fugitive.
- One who carries messages or runs errands.
- One who serves as an agent or collector, as for a bank or brokerage house.
- One who solicits business, as for a hotel or store.
- a. A smuggler: a narcotics runner.b. A vessel engaged in smuggling.
- One who operates or manages something: the runner of a series of gambling operations.
- A device in or on which something slides or moves, as:a. The blade of a skate.b. The supports on which a drawer slides.
- A long narrow carpet.
- A long narrow tablecloth.
- A roller towel.
- Metallurgy A channel along which molten metal is poured into a mold; a gate.
- Botany a. A slender creeping stem that puts forth roots from nodes spaced at intervals along its length.b. A plant, such as the strawberry, having such a stem.c. A twining vine, such as the scarlet runner.
- Any of several marine fishes of the family Carangidae, especially the blue runner (Caranx crysos), of temperate waters of the American Atlantic coast. Also called blue runner.
- Sports See flat1.
runner - Investment & Finance Definition
A person employed by a futures trading company who delivers price orders to the floor broker in the pit and then returns the completed order to the desk where the order completion is verbally confirmed and entered into the computer system.Webster's New World Finance and Investment Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
runner - Science Definition