- The definition of bearer is a person who carries things, or is a fruit producing plant.
- An example of a bearer is a doorman at an upscale hotel.
- An example of a bearer is an apple tree.
A torch bearer.
- a person or thing that bears, carries, or supports
- a plant or tree that produces fruit or blooms
- Rare a pallbearer
- a person presenting for payment a check, note, money order, etc.
payable to the bearer: bearer bonds
- One that carries or supports, as:a. A porter.b. A pallbearer.
- One that holds a check or other redeemable note for payment.
- A fruit- or flower-bearing plant.
- One who, or that which, bears, sustains, or carries.
- Someone who helps carry the coffin or a dead body during a funeral procession; pallbearer.
- One who possesses a cheque, bond, or other notes promising payment.
- I promise to pay the bearer on demand.
- (India, dated) A domestic servant or palanquin carrier.
- A tree or plant yielding fruit.
- a good bearer
- (printing) A strip of reglet or other furniture to bear off the impression from a blank page.
- (printing) A type or type-high piece of metal interspersed in blank parts to support the plate when it is shaved.
bear + -er
bearer - Legal Definition
A person in possession of a negotiable instrument, document of title, security, or other similar document that is marked “payable to bearer” or is indorsed in blank. Depending upon its nature, the document is called a bearer bond, bearer instrument, bearer paper, or the like and, if it is for the payment of money, it is said to be payable to bearer.