- The definition of bearer is a person who carries things, or is a fruit producing plant.
- An example of a bearer is a doorman at an upscale hotel.
- An example of a bearer is an apple tree.
A torch bearer.
bearer definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person or thing that bears, carries, or supports
- a plant or tree that produces fruit or blooms
- Rare a pallbearer
- a person presenting for payment a check, note, money order, etc.
payable to the bearer: bearer bonds
bearer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that carries or supports, as:a. A porter.b. A pallbearer.
- One that holds a check or other redeemable note for payment.
- A fruit- or flower-bearing plant.
bearer - Legal Definition
A person in possession of a negotiable instrument, document of title, security, or other similar document that is marked “payable to bearer” or is indorsed in blank. Depending upon its nature, the document is called a bearer bond, bearer instrument, bearer paper, or the like and, if it is for the payment of money, it is said to be payable to bearer.