carter definition by Webster's New World
- Carter, Elliott (Cook, Jr.) 1908-; U.S. composer
- Carter, Jimmy (legal name James Earl Carter, Jr.) 1924-; 39th president of the U.S. (1977-81)
- Carter, Nick a detective in a popular series of novels, the earliest of which were dime novels of the late 19th cent.
carter definition by American Heritage Dictionary
, Betty Originally Lillie Mae Jones. 1930-1998.
, Howard 1874-1939.
, James Earl, Jr. Known as “Jimmy.” Born 1924.
, Rosalynn Smith Born 1928.
Variant of cart
- any of various small, strong, two-wheeled vehicles drawn by a horse, ox, pony, etc.
- a light, uncovered wagon or carriage
- a small, wheeled vehicle, drawn or pushed by hand
Origin: Middle English ; from Old Norse kartr (akin to Old English cræt; origin, originally , body of a cart made of wickerwork, hamper): for Indo-European base see cradle
- to carry or deliver in or as in a cart, truck, etc.; transport
- to remove (someone or something) forcefully: she was carted off to jail
- carter noun