holder definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person who holds or possesses; specif.,
- one who is legally entitled to payment of a bill, note, or check
- a tenant
- a possessor
- a device for holding something
Origin: Middle English holdere
holder definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that holds, as:a. One that possesses something; an owner: the holder of extensive farmland; the holder of oil fields.b. One, especially a tenant, that occupies or controls something: The current holder of the apartment.c. Law One that legally possesses and is entitled to the payment of a check, bill, or promissory note.
- A device for holding: a towel holder.
holder - Investment & Finance Definition
Wall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The owner of a security.
holder - Legal Definition
An individual or entity that has ownership or legal possession of a negotiable instrument, security, or other document of title.