- a person who holds or possesses; specif.,
- one who is legally entitled to payment of a bill, note, or check
- a tenant
- a possessor
- a device for holding something
Origin of holderMiddle English holdere
- One that holds, as:a. An owner: the holder of the copyright.b. A possessor or occupier: the holder of an Olympic record; the holder of a cabinet post.c. A party entitled to payment on a note or instrument: the mortgage holder; the holder of the bond.
- A device for holding something: a towel holder.
- A thing that holds.
- Put your umbrella in the umbrella holder.
- A person who temporarily or permanently possesses something.
- He's been an account holder with us since 2004.
- In 2012, there were 28 living holders of the Victoria Cross or the George Cross.
- (nautical) One who is employed in the hold of a vessel.
hold + -er
- A surname.
holder - Legal Definition