- The definition of a proprietor is the person who owns or operates a business.
An example of proprietor is the person who owns a shoe shop.
proprietor definition by Webster's New World
- a person who has a legal title or exclusive right to some property; owner
- ☆ the owner of a proprietary colony
- one who owns and operates a business establishment
Origin: irregular formation ; from propriet(ary) plush -or
- proprietorship noun
proprietor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who has legal title to something; an owner.
- One who owns or owns and manages a business or other such establishment.
Origin: Probably alteration of Middle English proprietarie; see proprietary.
- pro·priˌe·toˈri·al adjective
- pro·priˌe·toˈri·al·ly adverb
- pro·priˈe·tor·shipˌ noun