- The definition of proprietary is something owned or a brand or item protected by intellectual property rights.
- An example of something that would be described as proprietary is the ownership interest you have in your possessions.
- An example of something that would be described as proprietary are the patented drawings for a new product.
proprietary definition by Webster's New World
- a proprietor or owner
- a group of proprietors
- proprietorship or ownership
- ☆ the grantee or owner of a proprietary colony in colonial America
- a proprietary medicine
Origin: Late Latin proprietarius ; from Classical Latin proprietas: see property
- belonging to a proprietor
- holding property
- of property or proprietorship
- privately owned and operated: a proprietary nursing home
- held under patent, trademark, or copyright by a private person or company: a proprietary medicine
proprietary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or suggestive of a proprietor or to proprietors as a group: had proprietary rights; behaved with a proprietary air in his friend's house.
- Exclusively owned; private: a proprietary hospital.
- Owned by a private individual or corporation under a trademark or patent: a proprietary drug.
- A proprietor.
- A group of proprietors.
- Ownership; proprietorship.
- A proprietary medicine.
- One granted ownership of a proprietary colony.
Origin: From Middle English proprietarie, owner of property, from Old French proprietaire and from Medieval Latin proprietārius, both from Late Latin, of a property owner, from Latin proprietās, ownership; see property.
- pro·priˌe·tarˈi·ly adverb
proprietary - Business Definition
proprietary - Computer Definition
Privately owned or controlled. Generally referring to a technology that has been developed by an individual, corporation, or other legal entity that considers the specifications to be a trade secret of value and that retains the exclusive right to exploit it, either for its own use or that of legitimate licensees that pay for the privilege. Proprietary technologies generally are patented, which prevents others from copying or otherwise duplicating them. See also patent and public domain.
Private. Proprietary hardware and software are owned and controlled by a single organization or individual. Contrast with open.
proprietary - Legal Definition
proprietary - Medical Definition
- Exclusively owned, as of a hospital.
- Owned by an individual or corporation under a trademark or patent, as of a drug.