- Withhold is defined as to hold back or refuse.
An example of withhold is an employer giving a portion of someone's paycheck to the IRS for taxes.
withhold definition by Webster's New World
- to hold back; keep back; restrain
- ☆ to take out or deduct (taxes, etc.) from wages or salary
- to refrain from granting, permitting, etc.; refuse
Origin: Middle English withholden: see with- and amp; hold,
withhold definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb with·held , with·hold·ing, with·holds verb, transitive
- To keep in check; restrain.
- To refrain from giving, granting, or permitting. See Synonyms at keep.
- To deduct (withholding tax) from an employee's salary.
Origin: Middle English witholden : with, away from; see with + holden, to hold; see hold1.
- with·holdˈer noun