- To disclaim is defined as to deny or renounce a claim or connection.
- When you deny you were involved in a prank, this is an example of when you disclaim your involvement.
- When you reject your inheritance, this is an example of when you disclaim.
disclaim definition by Webster's New World
- to give up or renounce any claim to or connection with
- to refuse to acknowledge or admit; deny; repudiate
Origin: Middle English disclaimen ; from Anglo-French desclamer: see dis- and amp; claim
disclaim definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb dis·claimed, dis·claim·ing, dis·claims verb, transitive
- To deny or renounce any claim to or connection with; disown.
- To deny the validity of; repudiate.
- Law To renounce one's right or claim to.
Origin: Middle English disclaimen, from Anglo-Norman desclaimer : des-, dis- + claimer, to claim (from Latin clāmāre, to cry out; see claim).