- something containing information, esp. information in printed or written form, often, specif., something that is relied upon to record or prove something: documents may be on paper, in digital or electronic form, etc.
- anything serving as proof
Origin of documentMiddle English and Old French from Classical Latin documentum, lesson, example, proof from docere, to teach: see decent
- to provide with a document or documents
- to provide (a book, pamphlet, etc.) with documents or supporting references
- to prove, as by reference to documents
- to gather and report the details of; cover or chronicle