A framed diploma.
An example of a diploma is the certificate given to students at their high school graduation ceremony.
- an official state document or historical document; charter
- a certificate conferring honors, privileges, etc.
- a certificate issued to a student by a school, college, or university, indicating graduation or the conferring of a degree
Origin of diplomaL, state letter of recommendation from Classical Greek dipl?ma, folded letter from diploun, to double from diploos, double
- A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.
- A certificate conferring a privilege or honor.
- An official document or charter.
Origin of diplomaLatin diplōma letter of introduction from Greek document, folded paper from diploos double ; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.
(plural diplomas or diplomata)
From Latin diploma, from Ancient Greek δίπλωμα (diplōma, “folded paper, license”), from διπλόω (diploō, “I double, fold over”), from διπλόος (diploos, “double”).