- The definition of a diploma is an official certificate given to a student who has obtained a degree, graduated from a particular course of study or has been granted honors.
An example of a diploma is the certificate given to students at their high school graduation ceremony.
A framed diploma.
diploma definition by Webster's New World
- an official state document or historical document; charter
- a certificate conferring honors, privileges, etc.
- a certificate issued to a student by a school, college, or university, indicating graduation or the conferring of a degree
Origin: Classical Latin state letter of recommendation ; from Classical Greek diplōma, folded letter ; from diploun, to double ; from diploos, double
diploma definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.
- A certificate conferring a privilege or honor.
- An official document or charter.
Origin: Latin diplōma, letter of introduction, from Greek, document, folded paper, from diplous, double; see dwo- in Indo-European roots.