- Diplomacy is defined as the skill for dealing with people effectively in a positive way including the foreign relations with other countries.
- When you negotiate or broker a deal between two parties who are angry, this is an example of a time where you have shown diplomacy.
- When a president sits down to talk to the president of another foreign country in order to try to resolve a tense situation, this is an example of a time when diplomacy is necessary.
- the conducting of relations between nations, as in building up trade, making treaties, etc.
- skill in doing this
- skill in dealing with people; tact
Origin: French diplomatie ; from diplomate: see diplomat
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The art or practice of conducting international relations, as in negotiating alliances, treaties, and agreements.
- Tact and skill in dealing with people. See Synonyms at tact.