- The definition of a certificate is a document that states an official fact or shows completion of a program.
- An example of a certificate is a birth certificate.
- An example of a certificate is a document showing that you finished a training program.
- To certificate is defined as to verify and issue a document proving something.
An example of certificate is to examine an antique and verify its age and origins.
A certificate of marriage.
certificate definition by Webster's New World
- a document certifying that one has met specified requirements, as for teaching
- a document certifying ownership, a promise to pay, etc.
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French certificat ; from Midieval Latin certificatum ; from Late Latin certificatus, past participle of certificare, certify
certificate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A document testifying to the truth of something: a certificate of birth.
- A document issued to a person completing a course of study not leading to a diploma.
- A document certifying that a person may officially practice in certain professions.
- A document certifying ownership.
Origin: Middle English certificat, from Old French, from Medieval Latin certificātum, something certified, from neuter of Late Latin certificātus, past participle of certificāre, to certify; see certify.
- cer·tifˈi·ca·toˌry adjective
certificate - Business Definition
- Evidence of ownership of a bond or shares of stock. A certificate contains detailed information relating to the issuer and the owner, including the issuer's name, particulars of the issue, the number of shares or the principal amount of the bonds, and the name and address of the owner. Also called stock certificate. See also book-entry security.
- A document attesting to or verifying something. For example, a certificate may indicate the completion of a course of study.
certificate - Investment & Finance Definition
certificate - Legal Definition
- An official or sworn document that formally attests something to be true. Also called certification.
- A formal document certifying some interest, permission, right, or status granted to its bearer.