- The definition of a diplomat is a person chosen by a government to represent the country with other governments.
An example of a diplomat is a Norwegian ambassador meeting with the president of a country in Europe.
diplomat definition by Webster's New World
- a representative of a government who conducts relations with the governments of other nations; person whose career or profession is diplomacy
- a person skilled in dealing with other people; tactful person
Origin: French diplomate, back-formation ; from diplomatique (after nouns ending in -ate, as aristocrate), diplomatic
diplomat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One, such as an ambassador, who has been appointed to represent a government in its relations with other governments.
- One who uses skill and tact in dealing with others.
Origin: French diplomate, back-formation from diplomatique, diplomatic; see diplomatic.