- The definition of diplomatic is someone who can be sensitive in dealing with others and who can achieve peaceful resolutions or facilitate discussion.
A person who doesn't take sides in a fight but who instead helps others to resolve their differences is an example of someone who is diplomatic.
- of official or original documents
- designating or of a copy or edition exactly reproducing an original document or manuscript
- of or connected with diplomacy
- tactful and adroit in dealing with people
Origin: French diplomatique ; from Modern Latin diplomaticus ; from Classical Latin diploma (gen. diplomatis), diploma
- diplomatically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or involving diplomacy or diplomats.
- Using or marked by tact and sensitivity in dealing with others.
- a. Of or relating to diplomatics.b. Being an exact copy of the original: a diplomatic edition.
Origin: French diplomatique, from New Latin diplōmaticus, from Latin diplōma, diplōmat-, letter of introduction; see diploma.
- dipˌlo·matˈi·cal·ly adverb