- ancient writing or forms of writing, collectively
- the study of ancient writings
Origin of paleographyModern Latin palaeographia: see paleo- and -graphy
- The study and scholarly interpretation of earlier, especially ancient, writing and forms of writing.
- a. The documents whose writing is so studied.b. The manner of writing in an earlier, especially ancient, document or set of documents.
- pa′le·o·graph′ic pa′le·o·graph′i·cal
paleo- +"Ž -graphy; imitating Latin palaeographia for the first sense and French palÃ©ographie and palÃ©ogÃ©ographie for the second and third senses.