The definition of tactful is someone or something that shows a regard for other people's feelings.
An example of something that would be described as tactful is a suggestion that is worded very carefully so as not to offend.
Possessing or exhibiting tact; considerate and discreet: a tactful person; a tactful remark.
(comparative more tactful, superlative most tactful)
- A tactful native minister, Sir Donald McLean, did the rest.
- In his long administration of his latter diocese he was most energetic, tactful and munificent.
- Naturally tactful and considerate, he never put difficulties in the way of the responsible ministers.
- She was intelligent and tactful, a faithful wife, a devoted mother and a staunch friend.
- His election proved a turning-point in the history of the country, which, under his beneficent and tactful guidance, became peaceful and prosperous and, in some respects, a model state.