- The definition of an obstacle is something that gets in the way or that slows or stops progress.
- An example of an obstacle is not having the tuition money to go to college.
- An example of an obstacleis when a road block is set up in your way that prevents you from passing by.
This road block is an obstacle.
anything that gets in the way or hinders; impediment; obstruction; hindrance
Origin of obstacleOld French ; from Classical Latin obstaculum, obstacle ; from obstare, to withstand ; from ob- (see ob-) + stare, to stand
Something that stands in the way of or holds up progress: The road crew removed the obstacle of the fallen tree limb. We had to overcome many obstacles to put on this show.
Origin of obstacleMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin obstāculum, from obstāre, to hinder : ob-, against; see ob– + stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
- Something that impedes, stands in the way of, or holds up progress
- A big obstacle to understanding the manual was that it had been poorly translated from the Japanese.
From Old French obstacle.