- The definition of a blockade is a shutting off or a blocking.
An example of a blockade is not allowing ships to enter a harbor.
blockade definition by Webster's New World
- a shutting off of a port or region of a belligerent state by the troops or ships of the enemy in order to prevent passage in or out in time of war
- any blocking action designed to isolate another nation and cut off communication and commerce with it
- the force that maintains a blockade
- any strategic barrier
Origin: block plush -ade
- blockader noun
blockade definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The isolation of a nation, area, city, or harbor by hostile ships or forces in order to prevent the entrance and exit of traffic and commerce.
- The forces used to effect this isolation.
Origin: Probably block + -ade (as in barricade).
- block·adˈer noun
blockade - Medical Definition
- Intravenous injection of large amounts of colloidal dyes in which the reaction of the reticuloendothelial cells to other influences is temporarily prevented.
- Arrest of nerve impulse transmission at autonomic synaptic junctions, autonomic receptor sites, or myoneural junctions through the action of a drug.
blockade - Phrases/Idioms
run the blockadeâ