- The definition of beleaguer means to harass with several issues.
An example of beleaguer is to cause stress to an ex wife by threatening to not pay child support unless she agrees to several demands.
beleaguer definition by Webster's New World
- to besiege by encircling, as with an army
- to beset, as with difficulties; harass
Origin: Dutch belegeren, to besiege ; from be-, around plush legeren, to camp ; from leger (akin to lair), a camp
beleaguer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb be·lea·guered, be·lea·guer·ing, be·lea·guers
- To harass; beset: We are beleaguered by problems.
- To surround with troops; besiege. See Synonyms at besiege.
Origin: Probably Dutch belegeren : be-, around (from Middle Dutch bie; see ambhi in Indo-European roots) + leger, camp; see legh- in Indo-European roots.
- be·leaˈguer·ment noun