- The definition of a lair is a secret, secluded or private place, especially one used by an animal.
A wolf's den is an example of a lair.
A lion in his lair.
lair definition by Webster's New World
- a bed or resting place of a wild animal; den
- any place of refuge or for hiding
Origin: Middle English lier ; from Old English leger, literally , lying place, hence bed, couch (in Dutch a camp) ; from Germanic base (*leg-) of licgan, to lie
lair definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The den or dwelling of a wild animal.
- A den or hideaway.
- Obsolete A resting place; a couch.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English leger; see legh- in Indo-European roots.