- The definition of a cavern is a large cave.
An example of a cavern is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
A dark cavern.
a cave, esp. a large cave
Origin of cavernMiddle English and amp; Old French caverne ; from Classical Latin caverna ; from cavus: see cave
- to enclose in or as in a cavern
- to hollow out: often with out
- A large cave.
- A large underground chamber, as in a cave.
transitive verbcav·erned, cav·ern·ing, cav·erns
- To enclose in or as if in a cavern.
- To hollow out.
Origin of cavernMiddle English caverne, from Old French, from Latin caverna, from cavus, hollow; see keu&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.