- The definition of a cavern is a large cave.
An example of a cavern is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
A dark cavern.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French caverne ; from Classical Latin caverna ; from cavus: see cave
- to enclose in or as in a cavern
- to hollow out: often with out
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A large cave.
- A large underground chamber, as in a cave.
- To enclose in or as if in a cavern.
- To hollow out.
Origin: Middle English caverne, from Old French, from Latin caverna, from cavus, hollow; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.
cavern - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.