- The definition of a cavern is a large cave.
An example of a cavern is Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
A dark cavern.
cavern definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French caverne ; from Classical Latin caverna ; from cavus: see cave
- to enclose in or as in a cavern
- to hollow out: often with out
cavern definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A large cave.
- A large underground chamber, as in a cave.
- To enclose in or as if in a cavern.
- To hollow out.
Origin: Middle English caverne, from Old French, from Latin caverna, from cavus, hollow; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.
cavern - Science Definition