The definition of a cavity is a hole or hollow place.
An example of a cavity is a hole in a tooth.
- a hole or hollow place
- a natural hollow place within the body: the abdominal cavity
- a hollow place in a tooth, esp. when caused by decay
- Electronics a space enclosed by metal and with a rodlike projection in the center, used as a resonator, as with a magnetron to produce electromagnetic waves, esp. microwavesalso called cavity resonator
Origin of cavityFrench cavité ; from Late Latin cavitas ; from Classical Latin cavus, hollow: see cave
- A hollow; a hole.
- A hollow area within the body: a sinus cavity.
- A pitted area in a tooth caused by caries.
Origin of cavityFrench cavité, from Late Latin cavitas, from Latin cavus, hollow; see keu&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.