- The definition of a dent is a small indentation in a surface made by being hit, or a tooth like projection.
- An example of a dent is an indentation in the surface of a car.
- An example of a dent is a tooth in the wheel of a gear.
- Dent is defined as to make an indentation or become indented.
An example of dent is to hit the side of a car with a hammer.
This car has a dent.
dent definition by Webster's New World
- a slight hollow made in a surface by a blow or pressure
- an appreciable effect, often a lessening or adverse effect
Origin: Middle English variant, variety of dint
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin dens, tooth
dent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A depression in a surface made by pressure or a blow: a dent in the side of a car.
- Informal A significant, usually diminishing effect or impression: The loss put a dent in the team's confidence.
- Informal Meaningful progress; headway: at least made a dent in the work.
Origin: Middle English dent, variant of dint, blow, from Old English dynt.
Origin: French; see dentist.