- of or for the teeth or dentistry
- Phonet. articulated with the tip of the tongue against or near the front teeth: said as of (?) and (?)
Origin of dentalModern Latin dentalis ; from Classical Latin dens (gen. dentis), tooth
- Of, relating to, or for the teeth: dental caps.
- Of, relating to, or intended for dentistry: dental work; dental bills.
- Linguistics Articulated with the tip of the tongue near or against the upper front teeth: the English dental consonants t and d.
Origin of dentalNew Latin dentalis, from Latin d&emacron;ns, dent-, tooth; see dent- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more dental, superlative most dental)
- of or concerning the teeth: dental care
- of or concerning dentistry
- (phonetics) made with the tongue touching the teeth: dental fricative
- (veterinary medicine) Cleaning and polishing of an animal's teeth.