(al vē′ə lər)
- of or like an alveolus or the alveoli; socketlike
- relating to the part of the jaws containing the sockets of the teeth
- designating the ridge of the gums behind the upper front teeth
- relating to the air pockets in the lungs
- Phonet. articulated with the tongue touching or near the alveolar ridge: said as of (t), (d), and (s)
See alveolar in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- Of or relating to an alveolus.
a. Relating to the jaw section containing the tooth sockets: the alveolar ridge.
b. Relating to the alveoli of the lungs.
- Linguistics Formed with the tip of the tongue touching or near the inner ridge of the gums of the upper front teeth, as the English (t), (d), and (s).
An alveolar sound.
Learn more about alveolar