- bent or turned backward
- Phonet. articulated with the tip of the tongue raised and bent slightly backward toward the hard palate
Origin of retroflexClassical Latin retroflexus, past participle of retroflectere: see retro- and flex
- Bent, curved, or turned backward.
- Pronounced with the tip of the tongue turned back against the roof of the mouth.
Origin of retroflexLatin retrōflexus past participle of retrōflectere to bend back retrō retro- flectere to bend
- ret′ro·flex′ion ret′ro·flec′tion
(comparative more retroflex, superlative most retroflex)
- (linguistics) a retroflex consonant
From Latin rÄ“trÅflexus, the perfect participle of rÄ“trÅflectÅ (“bend, turn"), from flectÅ (“bend, turn").