- The definition of a diminution is a reduction in size or a reduction in the importance of someone or something.
When you are demoted from President of the company to assistant manager, this is an example of a diminution.
diminution definition by Webster's New World
- a diminishing or being diminished; lessening; decrease
- Music variation of a theme by shortening, usually halving, the time value of the notes
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin deminutio
diminution definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act or process of diminishing; a lessening or reduction.b. The resulting reduction; decrease.
- Music Statement of a theme in notes of lesser duration, usually one-half, of the original.
Origin: Middle English diminucioun, from Old French diminution, from Latin dīminūtiō, dīminūtiōn-, from dīminūtus, past participle of dīminuere; see diminish.
- dimˌi·nuˈtion·al adjective